Monday, June 6, 2011

July 2011 Pioneer Bookshop Book Club Choice




A Girl Named Zippy; Growing Up Small in Mooreland, Indiana, by Haven Kimmel will be discussed at the next book club meeting on July 7, 2011. We meet at the Pioneer Bookshop at 7pm on the first Thursday of the month. Everyone is welcome. Please join us.




When Haven Kimmel was born in in 1965, Mooreland, Indiana was a sleeply little hamlet of three hundred people. Nicknamed "Zippy" for the way she would bolt around the house, this small girl was possessed of big eyes and even bigger ears. In this witty and lovingly told memoir, Kimmel takes readers back to a time when small-town America was caught in the amber of the innocent postwar period-people helped their neighbors, went to church on Sunday, and kept barnyard animals in their backyards.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite books EVER. I hope you all think this is as laugh out loud funny as I do! My favorite chapter is when she inherits a wig...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book made me laugh out loud in public. I had to put it down because I must have looked like a crazy person snickering and laughing at the swimming pool while sitting alone. My favorite chapter is the one that starts "When it became completely impossible for me to live without a pet chicken....". Hilarious. I also LOVED the way it ended.

    ReplyDelete