Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Driftless by David Rhodes is the December Book for the Pioneer Bookshop Book Club


The Bookclub choice for December reading is Driftless by David Rhodes. This book has been elected as the All Iowa Reads title for 2010. The purpose of All Iowa Reads is to encourage Iowans statewide to read and talk about a single title in the same year. Libraries and other local organizations are encouraged to sponsor discussions of the title.


Author David Rhodes is a 1971 graduate of the famed Iowa Writers' Workshop. He then published three books before a motorcycle accident left him paralyzed from the waist down. Three decades since his last book, he returns with Driftless.

The next meeting of the club will be on Thursday, January 7 at 7pm at the Pioneer Bookshop. Everyone is welcome. Please join us.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't gotten far but I am enjoying the book so far. Rhodes does spend a lot of time developing his characters in the first few chapters. I'm ready to get to the plot. On page 78 I got hooked when the naked guitar playing woman showed up. How are all these characters going to come together? I worry about the family who is trying to fight the big milk company. I'm especially interested in July. I like his style of roaming the country and landing where the chips fall. I want to hear more about how he was received by the town and how he got the farm he lives on now. I have my special reading chair ready for a few days off over the holidays. I'll be spending some glorious time there in the mornings.. Merry Christmas everyone. Cassie

    ReplyDelete